- Sept. 26, 2019
- 3 min read
Progressive activists have called to end the criminalization of homeless people and roll back rules that bar sleeping on sidewalks. [snip]
— Los Angeles Times, via MSN News, September 25, 2019
Instead, Pelosi [in launching an impeachment inquiry] plunged the country into a nightmare by surrendering to the most radical members of her party and the Trump-hating left-wing press. [snip]
— Michael Goodwin, New York Post, September 25, 2019
Have we entered the twilight phase of “progressivism?” That’s its end times – which we should fervently pray for. Progressives – aka, leftists – have cut a destructive swath through American society since the 1960s. Will their destructiveness finally consume them… before it consumes us?
Let’s list why progressivism may be headed to the Graveyard of Failed Isms. The list isn’t prioritized. Nor is it complete. Arrange accordingly. Add your thoughts.
- Homeless control and trash the streets in once grand cities
- The left’s power lust focuses on destroying its opponents, starting with a president who’s in their way
- Babies in the womb, instruct Pete Buttigieg and Democrats, are abortable a nanosecond before they draw a breath
- Human superpower is destroying an entire planet – in a decade
- Western economies and people’s lives must be degraded and primitivized to save the planet
- Men can be women, and women, men
- Marriage and family are to be defined as you like – or defined from your lives
- Language must be politically correct – or severe penalties follow
- Guns kill, ban them. The people who use guns perniciously, we’ll skip
- Socialism, many times a documented historical failure, will work this time
- Capitalism, which is a resounding success and has lifted up millions, is evil;
- Everests of national and personal debt won’t have adverse consequences one day – keep spending, Ask Bernie
- God is dead. Well, he never was. So, let’s fill the void with eccentric and destructive “isms”
- Education is a means of thought control and indoctrination
- Journalism is a means of propagandizing citizens
- National borders are passé and need to be erased
- Big business needs to be in bed with the statist left. Better to control economies. Never mind that whiff of fascism
- Arts & entertainment are to celebrate the darkest, most licentious impulses in human nature
- Popular culture is a means of perpetuating adolescence. The adult-minded are harder to control
- Good never triumphs – because good and right are subjectively defined, anyway
- Good and bad, right and wrong, will be defined by the left; hey, someone has to make the rules
That’s a start. The scary thing is it isn’t exhaustive.
The big picture: Progressivism has progressively morphed into nihilism. That’s a two-dollar word. Per Merriam-Webster, nihilism defines as:
1a: a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless
Nihilism is a condition in which all ultimate values lose their value. — Ronald H. Nash
b: a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths
2a: a doctrine or belief that conditions in the social organization are so bad as to make destruction desirable for its own sake independent of any constructive program or possibility
b capitalized: the program of a 19th century Russian party advocating revolutionary reform and using terrorism and assassination [Antifa anyone?]
Nihilism is the ugly face lurking under progressivism’s mask. Most Americans are still brimming with common sense and decency. Going off a societal cliff isn’t part of their playbook. Let’s hope our fellow citizens are increasingly “woke” to the left’s suicidal impulses and utter folly. It’s time to send this ism to its grave.
What do you think? Weigh in!